Occasions of West Street’s wedding dress shape guide.
We have created this handy wedding dress shape guide to help you find your perfect wedding dress silhouette. Each and every one of us have different body types, choosing the correct shape silhouette will help you look and feel absolutely stunning on your big day.
There is a printable version of this quick and easy guide at the very bottom.
trumpet shaped wedding dress
- A straight lined skirt that subtly flares from the knee towards the hem in a trumpet shape.
- Ideal for curvy Brides who are looking for a form fitting dress that is slightly easier to move in.
- Provides room for movement, ideal for dancing in.
- Avoid if you are not comfortable with showing off your shape or if you have an apple or boxy body type.
sheath shaped wedding dress
- This form fitting style follows the body’s natural line and does not flare flare out.
- Ideal for petite women as the slim shape adds length.
- The silhouette looks great on brides with sleek figures.
- Also referred to as a column shape.
- Avoid if you are pear shaped as this silhouette will make you look unbalanced.
mermaid shaped wedding dress
- This shape is defined by a slim, tapered, curve-hugging skirt that follows the line of the hips and thighs and flares out below the knee.
- Perfect for brides with hourglass figures who want to show off their curves.
- Avoid if you know you do not want something tight as this style is constricting.
Ballgown shaped wedding dress
- The most distinguishing trait of a ballgown wedding dress is its very full skirt.
- The silhouette also has a fitted bodice and is cinched at the natural waist.
- Best for brides with boyish figures as the fullness of the dress will make you look curvier.
- Avoid if you are a petite bride as you will be swallowed up by a dress this voluminous.
a-line shaped wedding dress
- As the name implies, this cut is narrow at the top and extends out along the body in the shape of an ‘A’.
- Provides plenty of room for movement whilst making you look stunning.
- Best for all body types making it the most popular skirt silhouette.
- It is super flattering on almost everyone.
- Avoid if you are looking for something really sexy.